I’ve often wondered what system or set of standards my leftist colleagues deploy when assigning grades. Do they give all students C’s regardless of outcomes on tests? Or A’s? Do they only grade effort but not performance? Do they make easier assignments for students who come to college with lower ACT/SAT scores? After all, not everyone comes to college with the same level of intelligence or virtues applicable to succeeding in the academy. So some will have to work much harder than others to achieve the exact same grades; this hardly seems fair.
So how do they grade? Well now I know! I relay the following anecdote passed on to me by a colleague (Engineering dept.) about another professor in the Social Sciences who teaches for the Social “Justice” major:
Today I was discussing socialism and communism in my freshman seminar class and a girl interrupted and said, “Hey, that’s how we took our quizzes last year in one of my classes!”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“We kept protesting about having to take quizzes individually on our own. Eventually, the professor just let us take them in a group and we all got the same grade.”
“You mean this happened once during the semester, right?”
“No. For all the quizzes.”
“Yeah, we took quizzes for the rest of the semester in groups.”
“Who was the professor?”
“Dr. [Sunny Flowers].”
“What grade did everyone get?”
“Everyone got A’s on all the quizzes.”
If you too are tempted to protest in order to get free A’s in life, or if you’re tempted to be a coward when facing a class full of entitled bums, you might think just a wee bit more about systems of grading. For your consideration, Keith Burgess-Jackson lays out four other grading philosophies in addition to the communist-utopian one of Dr. [Sunny Flowers].
- Guest Post: In Defense of Autocracy - April 17, 2017
- Equal Opportunity and Justice - March 17, 2017
- The New Jim Crow Chapter 1: The Rebirth of Caste - March 6, 2017
- Pro-Birth, Pro-Life, Whole-Life, and Pro-Torture - February 2, 2017
- Virtue and Killing and Eating Animals: A Response to Catholic Hulk - January 14, 2017
- “Baby it’s Cold Outside”: Consent, Commitment, Sex, and Leftist Prudes - December 24, 2016
- Follow Us on Twitter - December 3, 2016
- Expert Philosophy Journalist Leiter Tries to Smear Rightly Considered Again: But It’s an Abject Failure - November 2, 2016
- Leiter Retort - October 28, 2016
- Society of Biblical Literature Bans IVP Over LGBTQQIETC - October 19, 2016