I’ve often wondered what system or set of standards my leftist colleagues deploy when assigning grades. Do they give all students C’s regardless of outcomes on tests? Or A’s? Do they only grade effort but not performance? Do they make easier assignments for students who come to college with lower ACT/SAT scores? After all, not everyone comes to college with the same level of intelligence or virtues applicable to succeeding in the academy. So some will have to work much harder than others to achieve the exact same grades; this hardly seems fair.
So how do they grade? Well now I know! I relay the following anecdote passed on to me by a colleague (Engineering dept.) about another professor in the Social Sciences who teaches for the Social “Justice” major:
Today I was discussing socialism and communism in my freshman seminar class and a girl interrupted and said, “Hey, that’s how we took our quizzes last year in one of my classes!”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“We kept protesting about having to take quizzes individually on our own. Eventually, the professor just let us take them in a group and we all got the same grade.”
“You mean this happened once during the semester, right?”
“No. For all the quizzes.”
“Yeah, we took quizzes for the rest of the semester in groups.”
“Who was the professor?”
“Dr. [Sunny Flowers].”
“What grade did everyone get?”
“Everyone got A’s on all the quizzes.”
If you too are tempted to protest in order to get free A’s in life, or if you’re tempted to be a coward when facing a class full of entitled bums, you might think just a wee bit more about systems of grading. For your consideration, Keith Burgess-Jackson lays out four other grading philosophies in addition to the communist-utopian one of Dr. [Sunny Flowers].
- Basket of Deplorable Links - December 11, 2017
- How to Do Philosophy Without a Hammer - November 8, 2017
- Europe’s Miserable Condition: On The Paris Statement - October 27, 2017
- Feminist Philosophy Chair to Grad Student: Criticize Islam Anymore and You’ll Either Be Kicked Out or Sent to Reeducation Camp - September 23, 2017
- Basket of Deplorable Links - September 22, 2017
- Because They Are Leftist Echo Chambers - September 18, 2017
- Hackers Take Down Philosophy Grad Student Philippe Lemoine’s Blog… - June 6, 2017
- Basket of Deplorable Paris Agreement Links - June 2, 2017
- Police Arrest “Ethics” Philosopher - May 27, 2017
- Another Failed Attempt by Feminist Propagandists in Philosophy - May 26, 2017