Update: We’ve been informed that our critics have abandoned the campaign to write an open letter. As such, we’ve removed the original text of the letter as a gesture of goodwill.
You know, we’re trying to get back into the habit of making substantive posts, but our critics can’t stop trying to smear us. Jon Cogburn tried to do so by asserting, without even a hint of argument, that our publishing screenshots of Facebook comments of nasty and hateful comments from leftists was a violation of “privacy” and morally wrong. When we explained why we disagreed, instead of addressing our substantive points, he tried to get dozens of people to pressure our host to take us down because what we did was legally suspect. That didn’t work either. Our host has confirmed that there was no TOS violation. So now he and others are trying to get a bunch of Christian philosophers to sign a letter condemning us and supporting those who publicly attacked Richard Swinburne and other traditionalist Christians. Clayton Littlejohn, for example, called Swinburne a ‘dick’ and Jason Stanley wrote that “’Fuck those assholes’ wildly understates my actual sentiments towards proponents of homophobic and therefore evil views such as Richard Swinburne’s” (Stanley has now offered an apology of sorts for his actions, which probably wouldn’t have happened in the absence of our intervention). And apparently some Christians are supporting the bully campaign against us:
Unfortunately, they posted the letter in haste and realised that it wasn’t something even its own author could endorse:
And yes, all of this was posted publicly before the author decided to take the letter down, as the above screenshot demonstrates (despite what the author of the letter says in his above comment, which is further evidence that some of our critics don’t understand what is ‘public’ and ‘private’ on Facebook). Bless their hearts! So we’re posting the original, objectionable letter here for your delectation. Enjoy!
Edit: We removed the text of the original letter upon learning that our critics abandoned the project, but our response may still be viewed by clicking the spoiler. It won’t make much sense without viewing the original letter, but we leave it here for the record.
- Yes, Abortion is a Women’s Health Issue - January 14, 2018
- Are Homosexuals Sexual Cowards? - October 23, 2017
- Mills College and Academic Freedom - June 13, 2017
- International Women’s Day: Taking Stock - March 13, 2017
- Doing Political Philosophy Right: Which Graduate Schools To Go To? - January 25, 2017
- Hackslanger’s Fake Diversity Challenge - January 20, 2017
- Mannesplaining Family Annihilators - October 25, 2016
- For the Record… - October 9, 2016
- In Defense of Posting Screenshots: A Reply to Jon Cogburn - October 5, 2016
- Should Christina Van Dyke Resign? We Report, You Decide - October 1, 2016