In one of the least surprising turn of events since Donald Trump won the presidential election, leftists are demanding recounts in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. The irony of such requests is probably not lost on our readers, but let’s highlight it anyway. The people calling for recounts are the same people who object to voter ID laws, due in part to the supposed incredibly low rate of voter fraud.
Why do we need a recount at all? The Stein camp is saying that there is evidence of computer tampering, but the evidence for that claim looks weak at best, and on par with conspiracy theories at worst. Those who still insist on a recount need a reason, such as counting error. This is silly though; in Pennsylvania, Trump won by 68,209, in Michigan, Trump won by 10,704, and in Wisconsin, Trump won by 22,871. Although the results were close in these states, it’s a huge stretch to think human error could have caused a vote count that is off by the tens of thousands in one state! So, there is only one option left for those who would insist on a recount. Fraud! But, as as I said above, these are the people who are opposed to voter ID laws on the grounds that voter fraud is low and, therefore, such laws are unnecessary. They are forced into a dilemma. Either voter fraud is a problem, and there is some merit to the arguments for requiring IDs to vote, or voter fraud is not a problem, and the recounts totally lack legitimate motivation. Which is it?
- Earth Day - April 23, 2017
- Quick Reaction: Was the Syria Strike Morally Permissible?* - April 8, 2017
- A Response to Jenkins and Ichikawa: If You Like Your Mononormativity, You Can Keep Your Mononormativity - March 25, 2017
- Go Ahead, Make My Day—Defund the NEH! - March 20, 2017
- There are No “Safe Spaces” - February 13, 2017
- Make Philosophy Great Again: End Leiter Reports and Daily Nous - January 12, 2017
- A Conservative Virtue - December 17, 2016
- A More Honest Statement from the APA - December 9, 2016
- Assessing Responsibility for the OSU Attack - December 2, 2016
- The Recount Dilemma - November 29, 2016