Earlier I wrote about political vaginas (see here), a topic inspired by the case of Dawson v. Vancouver Police Board within British Columbia, Canada. This legal case recognized the product of a “vaginoplasty” as a vagina, which is kind of an eyebrow-raiser, because that constitutes some legal recognition for it as a vagina.
As readers familiar with my writings might suspect, I took issue to that characterization, proclaiming that the alleged vagina is not a real, human vagina, but instead, it is a political vagina. I briefly alluded to some reasons for thinking this (for example, that pseudo-vagina needs to be dilated every day, lest the hole closes and seals itself), but I didn’t speak about the metaphysics of it all. So I’d like to do that now.
Let’s begin with the distinction between natural objects and artifacts.
Natural objects are those whose characteristic behaviour, change and stability is brought about by some principle intrinsic to them or the system of which they are a part. Think of trees, branches, human beings, dogs, plants, and so forth.
Artifacts are those objects whose characteristic behaviour, change and stability is brought about by some external cause. For example, the pencil from which I am now writing this proposition is an artifact – its formation and function has been brought about by some external force onto a piece of wood and some graphite. There’s no intrinsic principle within its being, parts or its whole to exist, subsist or function in pencil-characteristic ways.
But what is true of my pencil is also true of that alleged vagina. It does not exist, subsist, change, or function as a vagina or in a vagina-characteristic way through any intrinsic principle. Instead, its vagina-like appearance and any vaginal-like function has been imposed upon it by an external force, the surgeon. In fact, that surgical contraption possesses no more intrinsic principle toward vagina-ness than a face squished to vagina-likeness.
Thus, the alleged vagina is not a natural object – it is more like an artifact. In contrast, regular vaginas are natural objects: Their existence, development and function follow the course of human female biology, a course intrinsic to the female person herself. Thus, on this analysis, we can affirm this proposition:
1. That alleged vagina is not a natural object.
From this, there are numerous ways to conclude that the alleged vagina is not a human vagina (1). Perhaps the most obvious is to note these two obvious truths:
2. Human organs are natural objects.
3. Human vaginas are human organs.
Propositions 2 and 3 entail this:
4. Human vaginas are natural objects.
But proposition 4 and 1 entail:
5. That alleged vagina is not a human vagina.
If we accept this reasoning, and if we accept that distinction between natural objects and artifacts, we can conclude that this alleged vagina is both not a natural object and not a human vagina. But if that’s true of this alleged vagina, then truth-loving people should insist upon the recognition and clarification that this is not what we’d call a genuine vagina, and that it is, instead, something like an artifact, perhaps like a prosthetic nose or a glass eye (2).
But even if you insist upon catering to polite fictions, something I believe to be a false compassion, then we should at least agree that these fictions should not be recognized in law. I mean, come on now, seriously. That’s just not a freaking vagina. It’s sad that I even have to make this point.
(1) We could also look at the differences within their potencies and 4 causes (material, efficient, formal and final), which would surely lead us to conclude that this alleged vagina is not a vagina.
(2) Problem is, prosthetic noses only aim to restore our nose-like function and appearance, not give us an organ we never had and that is contrary to the kind of human we are (male or female), but I’ll address that issue another day.
- Is White Nationalism Racist? Is Racism a Defeater? - August 18, 2017
- “Unite the Right” and Richard Spencer’s Alt-Right - August 14, 2017
- A Hulkly Response to Bernstein’s Rejoinder - August 3, 2017
- Bernstein on the Death Penalty - July 26, 2017
- Responding to Some Pro-Abort Feminist Bloggers - July 21, 2017
- The Metaphysics of Vagina - July 11, 2017
- Inconsistent Thinking: Transgenderism and Birth Certificates - July 1, 2017
- Nature: From Order to Mechanism and then Feminism and Other BS - June 19, 2017
- Looking for Heretics: Bernie Sanders and Religious Liberalism - June 11, 2017
- On Disability: Should We Be Ableists? - May 22, 2017